- Sports Columns
Wishes to make Big Ten vital
They had all the necessities Thursday morning at the Big Ten media day. Coaches. Players. Free orange juice. Only one thing was missing. A suggestion box. Too bad, because in the Big Ten's relentless quest to be regarded as equal to the other elite basketball leagues, there is always room for improvement.
Rick Teverbaugh: Wonderful teams to follow now
Over this past week there have been a couple of stunning team performances that are worthy of praise here as both of those teams head for big weekends. Tuesday night I witnessed something I had never seen before in my 30-plus years here at the HB.
Rick Bramwell: Halloween haunting great outdoors?
Normally, I am not superstitious, but I'm wondering if Halloween has anything to do with my latest experiences. I walked down a fence row to a distant woods. This was new territory for me and adding to the excitement
Ken de la Bastide: Chase coming down to the wire
With both Matt Kenseth and Jimmie Johnson surviving the two toughest tracks in the Sprint Cup Chase for the title, it appears the champion won't be crowned until the final race of the year. Kenseth and his Joe Gibbs
- George Bremer: Colts enter new frontier The Indianapolis Colts enter the next phase in their monster construction this week. And this can be the toughest project to master. Welcome to life as a favorite.
- Rick Teverbaugh: Sports fan ready for NBA, NHL So what is this sports fan to do today? The Indianapolis Colts are off until a week from today in Texas. The Los Angeles Dodgers are off for a lot longer than that. Tony Stewart is out for the rest of the season, and that makes the rest of the NASCAR season a bit less compelling, for me at least.|So what is this sports fan to do today? The Indianapolis Colts are off until a week from today in Texas. The Los Angeles Dodgers are off for a lot longer than that. Tony Stewart is out for the rest of
- Mike Lopresti: Let the BCS griping begin Now that the BCS standings appear weekly, it's prime time for teeth-gnashing. Just line up at the complaint window. We can assume Oregon doesn't much like being behind Florida State, and Ohio State doesn't much like being behind Oregon.
- Angie Colip: Youth bowlers celebrate big weekend Our local youth bowlers made a strong statement this past weekend, taking home nine of 35 places in this month’s TKO Tournament. Pro Bowl West in Ft. Wayne played host to 148 youth bowlers Sunday.
- Rick Bramwell: Hunters fighting hunger According to the DNR, this fall some Hoosiers who need help will be able to put more food on the table thanks to deer hunters and the DNR Division of Law Enforcement's Sportsman's Benevolence Fund.
- Ken de la Bastide: Martinsville could decide NASCAR title Now that the Talladega race has ended without the big wreck that would shake up the Chase for the Sprint Cup title, competitors head to the half-mile Martinsville bull ring. Next to the Talladega race, the “big paper clip” that is Martinsville is the second most likely track to make or break the remaining championship contenders.
- More Sports Columns Headlines
- Wishes to make Big Ten vital