The Herald Bulletin

Overnight Update

State News

July 13, 2013

Hospital: Boy pulled from Indiana dune was responsive

CHICAGO — A 6-year-old boy who spent more than three hours underground after being swallowed by a massive Indiana sand dune was able to respond to “simple commands” when he arrived at a Chicago hospital, a spokesperson said.

The boy, whose survival was described as a “miracle” by a local coroner, remained in critical condition Saturday at Comer Children’s Hospital and has responded well to being on a ventilator, hospital spokeswoman Lorna Wong said in a statement.

The hospital did not detail what commands the boy responded to after he arrived. Wong later told The Associated Press she could not say if the responses were an indication that he had regained consciousness. The boy’s name and hometown have not been released at the request of the family, she said.

Michigan City, Ind., Fire Chief Ronnie Martin told WSBT-TV on Saturday that an air pocket saved the boy’s life.

According to Bruce Rowe, a ranger at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore park along Lake Michigan, the boy’s family said he was playing on the dune Friday when he dropped partially into it. While they were trying to dig him out, the dune collapsed, burying the boy under 11 feet of sand, he said.

The family called 911, and emergency responders were on the scene within 15 minutes and began digging by hand, Rowe said. Crews with excavating equipment were brought in to aid the rescue effort.

Martin told the South Bend, Ind.-area TV station that firefighters located the boy while prodding the dune, right after they detected the air pocket that enabled him to survive for so long underground. They pulled him out and the boy was rushed to a Michigan City hospital, then later flown to Comer.

LaPorte County Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman told The News-Dispatch of Michigan City that the boy’s survival was a “miracle.”

“It is totally amazing,” he said.

Authorities were puzzled about the cause of the collapse, which Rowe called “unprecedented.” The section of the dune, which is more than 125 feet high and is known as Mount Baldy, had been cordoned off for restoration work. It will remain closed at least through the weekend and until authorities can determine if it’s still a danger.

Wong, the Comer spokeswoman, said the boy’s family wanted to express is gratitude to the emergency responders and everyone else who helped in his rescue.

“They also ask that people include this little boy in their prayers,” she said.

1
Text Only
State News
  • HB0729 - state fair - MH Indiana State Fair gets underway for 17-day run

    The Indiana State Fair is getting underway with its usual confections and hearty treats as well as alcoholic drinks for the first time in nearly 70 years.

    August 1, 2014 1 Photo

  • news_teenpilot.jpg Teen pilot who died seeking record laid to rest

    A central Indiana teenager who died when his plane crashed in the Pacific Ocean during an around-the-world flight was laid to rest Thursday following a funeral service where he was remembered as a witty young man whose ambitious journey inspired others to pursue their dreams.

    August 1, 2014 1 Photo

  • NWS - HB0706 - scooter - 04 Police say new mo-ped law hard to enforce KOKOMO — With more and more mo-peds hitting the streets, police are having a hard time enforcing new restrictions encompassed in the new scooter law.Mo-ped drivers can still cruise the streets and roads on their two-wheel machines, but the new state

    July 31, 2014 1 Photo

  • Venue change granted for blast suspect A judge granted a change of venue Wednesday for the trial of one defendant in a deadly Indianapolis house explosion after prosecutors dropped their objection.

    July 31, 2014

  • No Child Left Behind request exposes rift A new critique of Indiana's efforts to maintain its exemptions from the No Child Left Behind requirements, written by top staff to Gov. Mike Pence, is widening a rift between state education leaders as federal officials near a decision on the waiver.

    July 30, 2014

  • Boyfriend of missing Shelbyville woman arrested Authorities searching for a missing central Indiana woman have discovered what they believe to be human remains and have arrested the woman's boyfriend.

    July 30, 2014

  • Pence pushes Medicaid alternative with HHS chief Gov. Mike Pence has told U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell that he wants to maintain Indiana's "freedom and flexibility" under any expansion of Medicaid.

    July 30, 2014

  • Indianapolis Violence-3 [Duplicate] Indy mayor backs tax to hire more officers Indianapolis' mayor proposed tax increases Wednesday to hire 280 additional police officers over the next four years and help respond to the city's surge in violence by targeting links between poverty and crime.

    July 30, 2014 2 Photos

  • Pence wants immigrant children taken out of state

    Gov. Mike Pence is asking that more than 200 immigrant children placed in Indiana be deported and chiding President Barack Obama for not alerting him of the placements.

    July 30, 2014

  • Indiana BMV asks court to delay vanity plate sales The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles has asked the state Supreme Court for permission to continue its suspension on sales of vanity plates until a court case is settled.

    July 29, 2014

Staff Photos


We're looking for your photos! Share your photos of your favorite people, places and Madison County events in our September reader photo gallery. Click here to upload your photos

Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide