The Herald Bulletin

Morning Update

State News

December 11, 2013

FEMA rejects major disaster declaration for Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS — Gov. Mike Pence says the federal government has rejected Indiana's request that Howard County be declared a major disaster area because of damage from last month's tornadoes and severe storms.

Pence said Wednesday he has ordered the Indiana Department of Homeland Security to appeal the decision by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The state on Dec. 4 asked FEMA to approve grants and low-interest loans to help homeowners and business in and around Kokomo recover from the Nov. 17 storm.

The state says 191 homes sustained major damage or were destroyed and nearly 1,000 homes overall were damaged. Indiana Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster has placed the preliminarily damage estimate at more than $2.84 million in Howard County aong.

The Indiana congressional delegation had urged FEMA to approve the request.

1
Text Only
State News
Staff Photos


We're looking for your photos! Share your photos of your favorite people, places and Madison County events in our September reader photo gallery. Click here to upload your photos

Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide