Alice I. Alex
Sept. 9, 1919 - Feb. 23, 2006
ALEXANDRIA — Alice I. (Reed) Alex, 86, Alexandria, died Feb. 23, 2006, at Community Hospital, Anderson, after an extended illness.
She was born Sept. 9, 1919, in Anderson, the daughter of Lon F. and Geneva (Utterback) Reed. Alice was a retired custodian from the Alexandria-Monroe School Corp.
Alice was a member of the First Christian Church where she taught Sunday School for 50 years. She was also a member of the Smilette Club, Senior Guild, United Senior Action and the Christian Women’s Fellowship.
Alice is survived by a daughter, Mary (Fred) Haas of Alexandria; a brother, Ray Reed of Alexandria; two sisters, Sandra (Charles) Montgomery and Amanda Mitchell, all of Alexandria; three grandchildren, Michelle (Kenny) Rodeffer, Tony (Jenny Binford) Haas and Scott (Carrie) Haas; and three great-great-grandchildren, Drew, Josh and Chandler.
She was preceded in death by her husband, John E. Alex; a daughter, Sue Haas; two brothers, Samuel Reed and Jerry Reed; and a sister, Betty McCune.
Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday at First Christian Church in Alexandria with the Rev. Sharon Lang officiating. Burial will be in IOOF Cemetery in Alexandria.
Visitation will be 4 to 8 p.m. . Monday at Whetsel Funeral Service, 1503 S. Park Ave., Alexandria, and one hour before service Tuesday at the church.
The family requests memorials be made to First Christian Church Scholarship Fund in care of the funeral home.
Alice I. Alex
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
- UPDATE: Two killed, two others seriously hurt in crash near Perkinsville
- Homeless encampments along White River baffle advocates for the residents, nature
- Chesterfield man dies of injuries 2 weeks after motorcycle crash
- Anderson woman dies from injuries after being struck by car
- Anderson man pleads guilty to four felony counts involving child solicitation
- Homeowner has until Oct. 25 to clean up Anderson property
- Interstate Warehousing planning $30 million investment in Anderson
- UPDATE: Missing Merrillville infant returned safely to an Illinois police department
- Study recommends Madison County build 450-bed jail
- Lawsuits: Inmates forced into cells flooded with sewage, smeared with feces