THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to." — Malcolm Muggeridge, British author and commentator (1903-1990)
Today is TUESDAY, JUNE 11, the 162nd day of 2019. There are 203 days left in the year.
HIGHLIGHT IN HISTORY
On June 11, 2001, TIMOTHY McVEIGH, 33, was executed by injection at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, for the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people.
10 YEARS AGO
With swine flu reported in more than 70 nations, the World Health Organization declared the first global flu pandemic in 41 years.
ON THIS DATE
In 1770, Captain James Cook, commander of the British ship Endeavour, "discovered" the Great Barrier Reef off Australia by running onto it.
In 1955, in motor racing's worst disaster, more than 80 people were killed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France when two of the cars collided and crashed into spectators.
In 1962, three prisoners at Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay staged an escape, leaving the island on a makeshift raft; they were never found or heard from again.
In 1985, Karen Ann Quinlan, the comatose patient whose case prompted a historic right-to-die court decision, died in Morris Plains, New Jersey, at age 31.
International Motorsports Hall of Famer Jackie Stewart is 80.
Singer Joey Dee is 79.
Actress Adrienne Barbeau is 74.
Rock musician Frank Beard (ZZ Top) is 70.
Rock singer Donnie Van Zant is 67.
Actor Peter Bergman ("Young and the Restless") is 66.
Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana is 63.
Actor Hugh Laurie is 60.
Actor JOSHUA JACKSON is 41.
Actor Shia LaBeouf is 33.
Activities and events planned for today:
• Senior Empowerment Fair hosted by Indiana Council Against Senior Exploitation, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Miami Room, Anderson Public Library, 111 E. 12th St.
• Senior euchre (60 and over), every Tuesday, 5 p.m., Geater Center, 1611 Chase St.
• Hoosier Street Rods and Classics Car Club of Central Indiana hosts Anderson's Tuesday Night Meridian Street Cruise-In, 5-8 p.m., 1135 Meridian St. (May through October), outside Dickmann Town Center.
• Chief Anderson Toastmasters meeting, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Carnegie Room, third floor, Anderson Public Library, 111 E. 12th St.
• Blast Off! at Lapel Branch, (grades K-5), 4-4:45 p.m., Lapel Library. Explore outer space through art, science experiments, games, stories, and more.