John W. Sheets
Jan. 20, 1919 - Jan. 28, 2006
John W. Sheets, 87, of Anderson, died Jan. 28, 2006, at his residence, following an extended illness.
He was born Jan. 20, 1919, in Anderson, the son of Carey and Reba (Stoops) Sheets, and lived in Anderson his entire life.
John served with United States Air Force during World War II and was honorably discharged in 1945.
In 1977, he retired from Nicholson File, formerly of Anderson, after 44 years of employment.
He was a Life Member of American Legion Post 127 in Anderson. He attended the Chesterfield Community Church of God in Chesterfield.
Survivors include a special friend and caregiver, Betty L. Williamson of Anderson; three sisters-in-law, Della Sheets, Annie Sheets and Margaret Sheets, all of Anderson; a brother-in-law, Hershel Sisson of Anderson; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Carey and Reba (Stoops) Sheets; his wife of 40 years, Mary (Gaither) Sheets, who died Dec. 7, 1995; sisters, Helen Moore, Virginia Walters, Betty Sisson and Mary Louise Sheets; and brothers, Ward Sheets, Carey Sheets Jr., Albert Sheets, Harry Sheets.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Chesterfield Community Church of God, 123 Linden Lane, Chesterfield, officiated by the Rev. James Johnson. Interment will follow at Park View Cemetery, Alexandria, where military honors will be provided by Anderson Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 266.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Owens Funeral Home, 412 N. Harrison St., Alexandria, and after 9 a.m. Wednesday, at the church.
Memorial contributions may made, through the funeral home, to Community VNA Hospice.
John W. Sheets
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
- Jury convicts Sutton on murder and attempted murder charges
- IU Notebook: Woodson says Hoosiers not done exploring portal
- Coroner identifies man killed in early morning crash; passenger injured
- 3 injured when garbage truck, SUV collide head-on in Anderson
- Sheriff: 3 people hospitalized after morning collision; 1 driver seriously injured
- Foutch charged with domestic battery
- Local law enforcement officials deem Biden actions reasonable
- Jail Log: April 10
- Changes coming to Paramount Theatre
- Hearing continued in teenager's murder case