CDC Recommends Americans Wear Masks. President Donald Trump referred to the updated recommendation from the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) during the daily White House press conference on Friday. The CDC recommends Americans use "non-medical, cloth" masks in public, regardless of whether or not a person feels healthy. Trump stressed that the recommendation is not mandatory. You can do it. You don’t have to do it. I’m choosing not to do it. It’s only a recommendation, President Trump, via 'The New York Times' . According to reports, the Trump White House was divided about both issuing the recommendation and its scope. CDC officials believe that wearing masks in public will mitigate the spread of the coronavirus. As of Monday morning, Johns Hopkins University reports that more than 337,000 Americans have been infected with the coronavirus
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
- Anderson man dies of gunshot wounds
- Anderson officials: Protest violence flared after midnight
- 'A really good man': Family grieves man's death in tree trimming accident
- More than 100 people protest police brutality across America in Anderson
- Two men charged in elaborate scam to fleece families of $28,000
- Inmate severs finger, sends it to THB with complaints about Madison County jail
- LIVE UPDATES: Protesters march through downtown Anderson
- APD investigates shooting that left man in critical condition
- Missing woman's hometown shows support
- APD investigates reported self-inflicted stabbing