COVID-19 Is Infecting and Killing , Black Americans, at Alarming Rates in Some States. New data from a number of big cities and states is shedding light on current inequalities in health care. In Illinois, North and South Carolina, Connecticut, Las Vegas and Minnesota, black Americans have been infected disproportionately to their population percentage. The number of deaths among African Americans due to COVID-19 has been described as devastating. While the information is preliminary, it is alarming and significant enough that some lawmakers have declared the crisis a "call-to-action moment for all of us.". Those numbers take your breath away, they really do, Lori Lightfoot, Chicago Mayor, via 'NYT'. Health experts say the reasons have to do with systemic inequalities related in part to the percentage of black Americans who cannot work from home. Existing health conditions, the necessity of public transit and lack of insurance are also likely contributors. Initial data also points to doctors being less likely to refer black Americans for testing. This current crisis lays out what we have known for a long time, which is that your ZIP code is often a determinant of your health outcome, Dr. Mandy Cohen, NC, via 'The New York Times'
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
- Anderson man dies of gunshot wounds
- LIVE UPDATES: Protesters march through downtown Anderson
- Anderson officials: Protest violence flared after midnight
- APD investigates shooting that left man in critical condition
- Missing woman's hometown shows support
- More than 100 people protest police brutality across America in Anderson
- 'A really good man': Family grieves man's death in tree trimming accident
- Two men charged in elaborate scam to fleece families of $28,000
- Inmate severs finger, sends it to THB with complaints about Madison County jail
- APD investigates reported self-inflicted stabbing