Super Pink Moon to Light Up Sky on April 7. The pink moon, or April full moon, is the closest supermoon of the year, according to EarthSky. The moon will rise on the evening of 7 April and burn brightly all night long. You may even see it cast moon shadows on the ground, Zoltan Toth-Czifra, Under Lucky Stars, via Fox News. A supermoon occurs when the moon’s orbit brings it closest to the Earth while the moon is full. The phrase "supermoon" originated in 1979, according to NASA. The traditionally named ‘Pink Moon’ is an invitation from the cosmos to scan your sky and peer out at our celestial partner, Jackie Faherty, American Museum of Natural History, via Fox News. Calling it a ‘Pink Moon’ is a reminder that spring is here and people of the past used to live their lives much more closely with what was happening in the nighttime sky, Jackie Faherty, via Fox News
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
- Anderson man dies of gunshot wounds
- Anderson officials: Protest violence flared after midnight
- 'A really good man': Family grieves man's death in tree trimming accident
- More than 100 people protest police brutality across America in Anderson
- Two men charged in elaborate scam to fleece families of $28,000
- Inmate severs finger, sends it to THB with complaints about Madison County jail
- LIVE UPDATES: Protesters march through downtown Anderson
- APD investigates shooting that left man in critical condition
- Missing woman's hometown shows support
- APD investigates reported self-inflicted stabbing