Adam Watters jail mug

Adam Watters

ANDERSON — Facing charges including strangulation, criminal confinement and domestic battery, Anderson Police Officer Adam Watters, son of APD Chief Tony Watters, has been placed on administrative leave without pay.

The Anderson Board of Public Safety on Friday voted to approve the recommendation by Anderson Mayor Thomas Broderick Jr.'s administration to place Adam Watters, arrested on June 7 on six criminal counts, on leave.

The safety board first met Friday in executive session, attended by assistant chiefs Jake Brown and Mark Cole, Maj. Joel Sandefur and City Attorney Tim Lanane.

Adam Watters and Tony Watters did not attend the executive session or the public meeting that followed.

Watters' attorney, Bryan Williams, vowed to ask for a speedy trial in Madison Circuit Court Division 5.

“We want to resolve it sooner than later,” Williams said.

Lanane presented the leave recommendation to board chairman Mike McKinley and board member NiCale Rector. The third board member, Sam Dixon, didn’t attend the meeting.

Any further proceedings concerning potential disciplinary action against Adam Watters will be tabled until criminal charges are resolved, Lanane said.

Future disciplinary action could include dismissal from the police force, the city attorney said.

In her motion to place Adam Watters on administrative leave without pay, Rector said that, if Watters is exonerated of the charges, the safety board could decide to award back pay.

Watters, 23, allegedly attacked his girlfriend early the morning of June 7 at her Anderson home. Anderson police contacted the Indiana State Police to investigate.

Watters is charged with Level 6 felony residential entry, Level 6 felony official misconduct, Level 6 felony strangulation, Level 6 felony criminal confinement, Class A misdemeanor domestic battery and Class A misdemeanor interference with the reporting of a crime.

His bond was set at $5,000 during his initial hearing Monday, and he was released from the Madison County Detention Center after posting bond that day.

The night before the alleged incident, Watters was drinking alcohol with Kiley Saylor at her residence, according to an affidavit of probable cause by Anthony J. Klettheimer of the state police.

Saylor told police she went to an Anderson tavern after getting angry with Watters for accusing her of texting "some guy," according to the affidavit. Adam Watters also went to the bar.

Saylor said she blocked Watters' phone number and had a friend take her home about 3:30 a.m, according to the affidavit. She told police she went to sleep about 4 a.m. and a short time later found that Watters was in bed with her, according to the affidavit.

Saylor told police Watters grabbed her neck and threw her against a wall, and she hit him in the face, according to the affidavit. Allegedly, Watters told her she was going to jail because she hit a police officer.

Saylor's grandfather, the only other person in the home, grabbed Watters and told him to leave, according to the affidavit.

State police arrested Watters at his father’s house later that morning.

Saylor told investigators she had been dating Watters for about 10 months and she did not want to file charges against him, according to the affidavit.

Since Watters was hired by APD on Oct. 13, 2017, he's been involved in at least two other incidents.

In May 2018, Watters was suspended for a day without pay after allegedly entering a Pendleton bar with his sister, who was under the age of 21.

Then, in February, state police Trooper Jason Girt stopped Watters at 11 p.m. in the 7000 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard when Watters was allegedly driving 90 mph in a 45 mph speed zone.

There is no record of any APD disciplinary action against Watters for the speeding charge.

Follow Ken de la Bastide on Twitter @KendelaBastide, or call 640-4863.

​Follow Ken de la Bastide on Twitter @KendelaBastide, or call 640-4863.

Senior Reporter covering Anderson and Madison County government, politics and auto racing for The Herald Bulletin. Has been working as a journalist in central Indiana since 1977.