Nathan Jenkins testified Dion T. Warner pointed a gun at him, he heard a click and then he fired in self-defense.

Jenkins, 20, 2225 Dewey St., Anderson, is charged with murder in the 2004 shooting of Warner following an alleged argument over a stolen bicycle.

While being cross-examined by deputy prosecutor Steve Koester about why he changed from an alibi defense to self-defense in September, Jenkins said it was because of guilty feelings and he couldn’t sleep.

“Didn’t you believe your best friends and girlfriend wouldn’t testify against you and then saw their depositions?” Koester asked.

“I decided to accept responsibility,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins was the only witness called by defense attorney Doug Long on Wednesday.

Both the state and defense rested their cases. Closing arguments are set in Superior Court 1 for 9 a.m. today with the seven women, five men on the jury to begin deliberations shortly thereafter. If convicted on the murder charge, Jenkins faces a 50-year prison sentence.

During questioning by Long, Jenkins said Warner lifted his gun and he heard it click. He said when he heard the click he reached in his pocket, pulled out the gun, cocked it and fired.

“I shot him,” Jenkins said. “He grabbed his head, reached down and touched a table and fell.”

Jenkins said he felt that Warner was going to shoot him.

He said after shooting Warner he panicked, ran to Halford Street and threw away the gun and clip. Jenkins said he then went and purchased some marijuana.

“My voice was never raised,” he said. “I wouldn’t have fired if I didn’t feel my life was in danger.”

Jenkins said that every other witness who testified during the trial was lying and his statement to police was lies.

“What I’m telling you right now is what happened,” Jenkins said.

He testified that he normally carried a handgun, although he didn’t have a license to do so.

Jenkins said he went to Warner’s house and when the door was opened saw something chrome in his left hand.

“I didn’t know what was in his hand,” he said. “I had no reason to shoot him. I was cool, calm and collected.”

Jenkins said he was about to leave Warner’s house when Warner raised his gun.

“I heard a click and reached in my pocket,” he said. “His (Warner’s) gun jammed, but there was still a way it could fire. He was still trying to fire his gun and I shot him.”

Jenkins said he didn’t know why police found Warner’s hand on a gun inside his pants pocket when they discovered his body.

Jenkins said he never told anyone else that he shot Warner in self-defense and never told the police that when he was arrested.

Trending Video