There is an article called the "History and Recent Advances in Coronavirus Discovery" in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal that is pretty technical but worth reading. Here are a few things I thought were interesting.

The history of human coronaviruses began in 1965 when Tyrrell and Bynoe found that they could passage a virus named B814. In 2002-2003 we had the emergence of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) coronavirus. Coronaviruses are medium-sized RNA viruses with a very characteristic appearance in electron micrographs of negatively stained preparations. Since 2003, 5 new human coronaviruses have been discovered.

COVID-19 is new but coronaviruses aren’t and humans have been studying them for 55 years. This is what gave doctors and scientists a leg up on producing an effective vaccine. RNA helps to identify the disease with a hundred percent accuracy, just like DNA in a rape case.

We know the vaccine is 95% effective, which leaves 5% still vulnerable. We don’t know yet if the vaccinated can still spread the virus without falling ill. We do know it will be early summer before enough Americans are vaccinated to where the virus isn’t a big threat. This is why it is important to wear a mask for a few more months to save American lives. This virus may be under control next year but millions of its victims face years of health problems.

As I wrote in March, “being stupid, inconsiderate and untruthful will spread this virus fast and furious to people unnecessarily.”

Tim Mahaffey, Middletown

Trending Video